- Which HP character is your favorite to draw and why?
Ouch, it's hard to pick one. I like to draw Tonks, Lupin and Dumbledore a lot. But my favorite would be Scrimgeour because he reminds me of the Thundercats characters. His physical description is wonderful for drawing.
- What other artists inspire you?
Craig Mullins, Joe Madureira, Joaquin Sorolla, Feng Zhu, Bruce Campbell, Michael Turner, Ryan Church, Sargent, Conrad Hall, Scott Robertson, etc.
- Who are your OTP? Tell us why.
My OTP would be Remus/Tonks. And I'm blaming this on a good friend that I have from school. She thought she had "seen clues" for the pairing when OotP came out and, for a year and a half, she tried to convince me to ship them too. I thought that the grownups couldn't possibly have a love life since HP was intended for a younger audience and considered my friend a bit crazy. Right. :)
Eventually, I lost a bet to her and I had to draw two R/T pics for my friend. Since it was rather fun to draw them together, I gave in and joined the ship.
As for Scrimgeour/Tonks, they're my crack pairing. The reasoning behind them was: Lion Dude + Changeable Hair Color Girl = Pretty. Very shallow, I know.
- How do you find inspiration for your commissions?
Usually the person that commissions a picture gives me fairly detailed idea of what they want. If not, I tend to ask a lot of questions to get the idea right.
- When did you first start drawing?
Since I was 4-5 years old. I don't remember exactly (getting too old).
- What medium do you prefer?
I like to draw better than paint, so a regular 2B pencil would be my favorite medium. However, for painting, I'd say Photoshop all the way.
- Do you ever wake in the middle of the night with something in mind that *must be* drawn right then?
Hmm… nope. I usually do some sketching before I go to bed, but no waking up in the middle of the night. I think that even if I'd get an idea, I'd be too lazy to get out of bed (particularly in winter).
- So what other fan artists out there do you appreciate the work of?
Oh, lots. Let's see. Leelastarsky, Buttfacemakani, Laverinth, Vikingcarrot, Seviet, Linnpuzzle, Lizardspots, Glockgal, Ariadneelda, Hill, Fiendling. And I'm probably forgetting quite a few.
- Which character is the most challenging for you to illustrate?
Mad-Eye Moody. Mostly, because I didn't have a very defined idea of what he might look like in my head. So it took a while to draw him.
- How long does it take to go from line-art to full-color pieces?
That varies a lot, and it usually depends on the amount of details and the amount of background that you can see. They can take anywhere from 8 hs to 20 hs (or more).
- What is the craziest commission request you've received?
Ah, I'm afraid I'm going to keep that one to myself. Sorry. :/
- If you could draw anyone in the world, whom would you love to have the opportunity to sketch?
Right now it would be George R.R. Martin.
- Who is your favorite Harry Potter Character?
My favorite characters are the same characters that I like to draw: Dumbledore, Lupin, Tonks and Scrimgeour. I'm cheating, I know. But I really can't pick one.
- If you were trapped in a room with your favorite character what would you want them to wear while you sketched them?
Clothing that has either a hippie or a surfer vibe to it
- When you're doing a commissioned piece from a specific story how much research do you put into that story?
Unless the story is 50 chapters long, I try to read it all. And then, I usually bombard the poor author or person that commissioned the picture with a lot of questions. I don't mind messing up my own stuff, but I'd hate to mess up somebody else's ideas. That's why I try to be as careful as I can.
- Are there any situations or characters that you just refuse to draw?
Yes; mostly p0rn.
There are some characters that I wouldn't pair up with anybody either, unless it's canon of course, like Dumbledore, Slughorn, McGonagall, Mad-Eye, Greyback (and probably some other ones that I'm forgetting). I'd also say no to anything that involves adult/child relationships. Aside from that, I don't have problems with anything (or mostly anything).
- What is your personal favorite piece that you've done?
The "Dumbledore through the ages" series.
Dumbledore in his Teens
Dumbledore in his 20's
Dumbledore in his 30's
Dumbledore in his 40's
- What is your process for taking commissions?
People e-mail me and say what they'd like to commission. I usually ask them a bunch of questions (if I don't have a very defined idea of what they're looking for) concerning what they want to see. And then, once I'm done with the picture, I e-mail them a link to see the finished piece. After that I mail the print-out to them.
- In the process of drawing how much do you depend on someone else's vision of what the character's are in a commissioned piece?
That depends if the person commissioning the picture wants a particular "look" for the characters involved in the piece. If they want the characters to look a certain way, then I'll try to stick to what they want as much as I can.
On the other hand, if there are no specifications, I'll go with the way I generally draw the characters. I don't follow a whole lot the movies, except for very few characters and the environments (which I really love).
- If you could sketch the captains what type of sketch would you do?
If I could pull it off, I'd love to do it in Tim Burton's style or Ian McCaig's style. But Tim Burton's drawings would be awesome for sketching you guys.