Interview - Editor's Choice - Quizzical (2007)
Interview with Quizzical
Author Profile and Live Journal
- How did you get involved with writing fan fiction?
The trio idea bit me after reading HBP. I had actually sort of mapped it out before I found 'HP fan fiction' as a real thing.
I wrote stories and journaled a lot when I was a kid. I suppose it carried on from that.
- Who is your favorite Harry Potter character and why?
I'm basically a Ron girl.
But I was first impressed by Harry and Dumbledore. I thought they were such well written characters. Very layered.
- What was the most shocking moment of the HP series?
I suppose I was most shocked by Dumbledore's death. Which I know - stupid me! I should have seen it coming - hero's journey - Obi Wan Kenobi and all that, but I was still pretty blindsided.
- If you could ask JKR one thing, what would it be?
I think the question about the Slytherins, and why they weren't more integrated in the conclusion.
Also – who she would secretly ship.
- What is the defining moment in the characterization of your favorite character?
Defining moment in my perception of him - facing the spiders in CoS, and standing up to Sirius Black in PoA.
- What advice would you give to first time writers?
None at all! I'll leave that to the 'real' writers.
- Which is your favorite Harry Potter book?
Too difficult. HBP is the book where I really 'got it'. But I love re-reading GoF. PoA rocks. As does DH.
- Tell us something interesting about where you are from.
Erm... we can go to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo a lot as it's quite near there.
- What character is the easiest for you to write? Which character is nearly impossible?
I've never attempted Snape. I just don't think I could manage him. Luna is also really difficult. I think I slip into Hermione's mind the easiest.
- What would be the thing you'd miss most?
- Give us five ways you'd use the Imperius Curse.
I really, really couldn't. Even in a joking way I find the concept deeply horrifying. There's a reason it's an Unforgivable, you know!
- Fred and George have given you a Daydream Charm. Which four characters would star in your daydream and where would it take place?
Urgh... today - it would be George and Lee, Harry and Ron. Erm... somewhere cold.
- What is your favorite food and which famous person (non-HP) would you most like to share it with?
Favourite food to share would be sushi. I'd love to have a meal/conversation with Bono.
- What inspires you to write?
The characters. Their interactions. Thinking 'what if...?'
- What type of environment do you like to write in?
I love late at night. Good music. No interruptions.
- Who are your favorite real life authors?
Definitely Ursula K. Le Guin. Favouritestest ever.
- What do you do for fun outside fandom?
Fandom is my fun.
- Do you think fandom is dying off with the end of the books?
I think it inevitably will a little, but the making of the films will keep things spinning for a while. It won't die off altogether, though.
- Word association:
- What was your favorite moment of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
Silver Doe, baby.