- Who is your favorite Harry Potter character and why?
Ron. He's me, which is strange as I don't like myself as much as I like him.
- Which is your favorite Harry Potter book?
Prisoner of Azkaban
- If you could ask JKR one thing what would it be?
Are you holding out on us with Ron's scars and if not then why injure him in such an elaborate way?
- If you were a character in the Harry Potter books who would you be and why?
Well I'm told I'm Ginny (I am the youngest and only girl in a family of 5) but I really don't like her after the way she behaved in HBP. I think I'm Ron, self-deprecating, nothing special academically and always surprised when things go my way.
- What inspires you to write?
I have no idea. I just can't imagine not doing it. I'd write even if nobody else was ever going to read it.
- What sort of setting/environment do you need to write (i.e Quiet, day, night, music, etc)?
Music, right now there's a chillout radio station on DAB that's great to write to. Otherwise XFM as they don't play pop. I prefer it if I'm on my own, I hate people trying to read over my shoulder.
- What authors (non-fandom and fandom) inspire you?
Mark Twain, Rowling (obviously), Spike Milligan, Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace. In fandom; Scribneoir (I BET I spelled that wrong!), Lavender Brown, PutMoneyInThyPurse, The Steppy One, Shocolate, Maple_mahogany and Matilda Bishop (Knows I have forgotton somebody and will have to grovel endlessly).
- How did you get involved with writing fan fiction?
I read HBP last summer and saw a couple of moments with Ron that made me think he wasn't suffering from low self esteem but something deeper, like his resignation at being unremarkable seemed to have taken some of the fight out of him, and I got the idea for Eternal Sunshine of the Scourgified Mind. It turned out that Ron with depression wasn't as far fetched as I thought it was when the reviews came in. It's my most popular fic to date. (Badly formatted and dreadfully spelt though!)
- Why do we torture the characters that we love the most?
I've had this conversation so many times and I still don't know! I think I came up with a decent excuse during a chat on YIM with Maple but it still doesn't justify the things I do to poor Ron. I'll say this, Rowling can torture Harry…Ron's all mine
- What was the most shocking moment of the HP series?
When Harry nearly killed Malfoy in the bathroom in HBP. To see the hero send of curse flying with no idea what it would do was very unsettling.
- What three things would you take with you to a deserted island?
Inexhaustible supply of pens and paper, photographs and sun block (I burn in winter!)
- What is the defining moment in the characterization of your favorite character?
Okay, this question's too clever for me; I don't get it. Is this in canon? Ron standing on a broken leg to stand between Sirius and Harry when he thought Sirius was a murderer.
- Give us your epitaph.
I'm not having one; I'm having a tree planted instead of a headstone. I'm a bit of a hippy that way. Okay, how's this? 'Here is a tree in memory of me so dog's can stop and have a wee'
- Why the Harry Potter fandom?
Because it's one of the few globally loved phenomena that's BRITISH and yet not a cliché of Britishness. I want to be a part of spreading the word 'git' to other nations.
- Besides writing fanfiction, what are your other hobbies?
Well when I'm not writing I tend to relax with a good write *lol* I'm now a resident playwright at the Children's theatre company I volunteer with. Other than that I drink until I fall down quite frequently and like going to see live music and comedy.
- If you could choose Harry's fate what would it be?
Oh no, I ain't going there…I'll be lynched!
- What advice would you give other writers?
Never write unless it's fun. The second it becomes a chore, walk away from it.
- Does the non-canon compliance of the movies affect you enjoying them?
I did have issues with Emma taking Rupert's line at the end of POA and there's always stuff I wish could be in at the expense of stuff I find inconsequential but I can live with it as long as they don't change people's characters too much.
- Word association: Harry, Ron, Draco, Voldemort, Petunia, Molly, and Grawp.
Right this is another one I might be answering totally wrong, I'm not really in the loop as far as this kind of fandom questioning goes!
Harry - central
Ron - overlooked
Draco - git
Voldemort - weak
Petunia - bullied
Molly - tearful
Grawp - girth!
- Where did the idea/inspiration for Lost in Words come from?
How to say this without sounding full of myself? Right, well I got a lot of compliments for my dialogue and I've always known that was my strength so I decided to take it away. The challenge was to make the most vocal member of the trio silent for a whole fic and still keep him in character.
- Which male Harry Potter character do you think would be the most romantic?
Honestly it'd have to be Neville. He has no image to protect by being openly in love with somebody.
- What is your favorite food and would which famous person (non-HP) would you most like to share it with?
Cheese and I'd like to sit down and have some cheese and wine with Stephen Fry (I loved him before he read the Potter books so I consider him non HP).
- If you were trapped in a cupboard with a Harry Potter character who would it be and what pick up line would you use on them?
Ron of course and I wouldn't need a pick up line, I'd just tell him to do as he's told and I won't hurt him!
- What is your surefire why of curing writer's block?
It's called Sambuca.